Tuesday, November 1, 2011

NaNoWriMo

November is one of my favorite months. Despite being the coldest month in Autumn, it always makes me feel warm with holidays like Thanksgiving and how much I get to see my family. However, every November something happens that I just can't bring myself to partake in...

"What the hell's a NaNoWriMo?"
That's a good question. NaNoWriMo is a little word for a big event: National Novel Writing Month. Basically, what it boils down to is that a bunch of writers from all over the States (and a handful from other countries) get together to encourage each other to write a legitimate, 50,000-word novel. Each November past since its beginning, I've thought "That's a great chance for me to squeeze out some good writing, but... I'm really busy. I'll do it next year." Well, I've done that for far too many years. This NaNoWriMo, I'm going to write a novel.

..Well, maybe not an ENTIRE novel. That's almost suicidal and the novel will almost certainly end up being utter shit. I am not suicidal, nor do I want anything I write to end up being utter shit. No, I decided I will START a novel and I will LOVE it.

So, the question arose. What shall I write of? I need a tale, I need a conflict, I need characters, I need a plot, I need an outline... I'm going to need a lot of coffee. I racked my brains for hours trying to think of something new, something I had never written before, when it hit me.

I've been writing Dungeons and Dragons shit for YEARS. I've come up with almost a hundred characters, my own complete setting, cultures, races, everything. It's all there. All I have to do is put it into novel form! So, with my newfound pool of inspiration to draw off of, I have finalized my decision.

I am participating in the Minneapolis branch of NaNoWriMo, and through this program I will write a Fantasy novel. Once I have a worthy excerpt, I will post it up here for everyone to see, and I will continue to write it. I don't have a title, and I only kind of have a working plot, so I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants. It's the best way to do it, in my opinion.

So, wish me luck! I've never tried anything like this, so it's gonna be a huge challenge.

If you like my writing, you can join the site to the right of the page, like Speaking with Storms on Facebook or follow me on Twitter and Google+ . If you have questions or just want to chat, I'm on Formspring too!

Thanks for reading. Stay human, my friends.

2 comments:

  1. I know it is going to be a great fantasy book and I am super excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The past two years (i.e. the only two years I've done it) my novels kind of hit a dead end. I've since realized I'm much more of a short story writer. So this year, I'm cheating and writing a short story collection! Haha!

    But good luck and God speed upon your noveling journey!

    ReplyDelete