Friday, May 20, 2011

Airports

I have mixed feelings about airports. When I'm traveling, I love them. When I'm at home, I'm fascinated by them. When one of my friends leaves, everything about them makes me upset.

Today, I said goodbye to one of my best friends. She's going back to her home, in Ethiopia. Thousands of miles away. There have been a bunch of gatherings of friends to sort of ease the blow, make sure she goes out with a bang, and give her good memories. Something tells me it only made it harder on a lot of us, having that many goodbye hugs.

I woke up this morning knowing what was going to happen. Saying my final goodbyes to my friend, making sure I only shed (at absolute maximum) TWO manly tears, out of one eye, not both. After that, a job interview at 2:45. Two big events that I was not (and am not) prepared to deal with. On top of all of that, when I went to the airport, I had completely forgotten my wallet. That, however, offered something to cheer me up.

I sincerely doubt that all of you responsible readers would  forget your wallets, so I am going to assume that none of you knows what happens when you are unable to pay for parking at an airport. The nice lady asked me to move my car off to the side of the road, which I did. I waited for an hour-long 10 minutes for someone to come talk to me. I explained that the only money I had on me was the 100 thou Vietnam đồng-- only about 5 dollars-- I kept in my small notebook for sentimental value. The man who came to discuss what they could do just sighed, smiled, and said "Well, get back in line for number 15. I'll see what I can do." I smiled, bowed, shook hands, and thanked him, obeying his instructions.

Instead of being billed for $10 ($5 for parking and $5 for being a dumbass and forgetting my wallet), the man lowered the fee to $3, swiped his own credit card, had me sign a small form, and wished me safe travels. Now, $3 is by no means a lot of money, but he did that for a complete stranger. A scatter-brained kid who he didn't know the name of. I drove away, crying for the second time that day because of the undeserved kindness I have received from friends and strangers alike.

For Rebka


Every time I’ve gone to an airport
It’s begun to rain.
This time, it’s no different.


When I heard that you’d be leaving
 I didn’t know how to react.
Will you leave soon?
Will you come back?
Will you keep in touch?
Will I ever see you again?
I felt these questions hit me like a waterfall to the top of my head.


Every time I've gone to an airport
I've felt like my stomach was made of stone.
This time, it's no different.


I remember days of smiles
Days of tension
Days of injera and phở
Days of learning
Days of forgetting.


Every time I've gone to an airport
It's been for a goodbye.
This time, it's no different.


You say, “I’ll be back”
But I know you’re reassuring yourself, not me.
I know I’ll see you again
On this soil, or on Abyssinian ground.


I kiss your forehead and wish you safe travels.
Only now, through tears, do I clearly see.
Sometime soon, we’ll live in the days of forgetting again.

No comments:

Post a Comment