Monday, July 4, 2011

"Cannot be Reconciled with Wisdom, Justice, and Love."

DISCLAIMER: If you are easily offended, easily angered by opposing viewpoints, overly conservative, ridiculous, war-mongering, or overly militant, DO NOT READ THIS POST. This post is more for myself to organize my thoughts than for any one of you. This post WILL make you angry. This post WILL cause controversy. This post might just cost me viewers, and frankly, I'm happy about that then. You are more than free (in fact, you are invited) to disagree. However, I will not tolerate any hateful messages in comments, and I will not abide infighting on this blog. I have stopped it before, I will do it again. You have been given your fair warning.


In case you didn't know, faithful readers, I am an American. Therefore, I naturally have my fair share of political views when it comes to my country. Today, during Independence Day, the birthday of our nation, I keep in mind those issues that I know affect me and my fellow Americans.

I do not truly hate very many things, but there are two issues I will be discussing. The first: War. I hate everything about it. The expenses, the motivations, the fighting, killing, raping, destruction, pillaging... I cannot abide any of it. My beliefs are strongly against war. I believe that all weapons are abominations, and good people detest them. This oftentimes puts me at odds with people who are either serving in the military or have loved ones who serve.

I'm going to say this right now: I do not support war in any context. I do not support the idea of soldiers (for I believe there should be no need for them), though I do give respect to anyone who feels a sense of duty towards protecting what is important to them. Granted, in the world we've created for ourselves, the military does provide certain usefulness. That being said, however, there should be other ways for us to get those things done.

I have friends from Vietnam who told me things about the war my country had with them that I would never read in a history book. I have met Koreans who taught me more about the Korean War than a single class I've ever attended. I have met Japanese who want Americans out of Okinawa. My only conclusion is thus: No wonder America is one of the most hated countries in the world.

On April 4th of 1967, Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke these words outside of Riverside Church in New York City:
"I come to this magnificent house of worship tonight because my conscience leaves me no other choice... A true revolution of values will lay hand on the world order and say of war, "This way of settling differences is not just." This business of burning human beings with napalm, of filling our nation's homes with orphans and widows, of injecting poisonous drugs of hate into the veins of peoples normally humane, of sending men home from dark and bloody battlefields physically handicapped and psychologically deranged, cannot be reconciled with wisdom, justice, and love. A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death."
Martin Luther King, Jr. and my biggest influence, Thích Nhất Hạnh, at a peace conference in Paris.

I will not write any more on the topic because all of my thoughts agree wholeheartedly with that excerpt. Indeed, Martin Luther King, Jr. took the words out of my mouth over 40 years prior to this day.


The other topic I want to tackle is something I despise almost as much as war, because they are, in fact, very closely related: American Exceptionalism.The term refers to the belief that America is exceptional in every way, and that it is simple "better" than other countries. Most Exceptionalists believe America is the best country in the world; So much better, in fact, that God himself smiles upon America and America alone. Naturally, most people who believe this are Christian and therefore practice a religion that states very clearly that God loves everyone equally and beyond measure. The contradiction is obvious.

Barack Obama spoke to the people of Cairo, Egypt, on June 4th of 2009 and said
"Given our interdependence, any world order that elevates one nation or group of people over another will inevitably fail."
However, he then contradicted himself in a State of the Union address by calling America "the light of the world". America is unique, yes, just as Korea is unique or Uzbekistan is unique or China, Ethiopia, Germany, Romania, Chile, or Canada. However, that does not mean we are better. Our differences are what should bring us together, not tear us apart. I believe in a unique America, but I will never stand for a sovereign America.

I know this seems like a lot of anti-America anarchist high-school bullshit, but please understand this: I like America. It has done good things. Sure, I want to live outside of it, but I am an American (whether I like it or not) so I will wear it as a part of who I am... But I will not stand for warmongering and hubris.

I wrote the following words watching the Independence Day parade with my family.

Oh, Say, Can You See?

Oh, say, can you see?

Today parades will toss sweets to energetic, ecstatic young children.
Today, polished brass blasts Sousa as they march to the drumming.
Today, old men drive go-karts, filling the air with the buzz of 2-cylinder engines like a swarm of Fez-donning hornets.

Oh, say, can you see?

Today, thousands of Americans will have their hands blown off, intoxicated by paroxysms of American Exceptionalism.
Today, one of the most powerful people in the world will speak to his people and tell them that the soil they walk upon is the Promised Land, that the Mississippi flows with milk and honey, and that they were Chosen by God to be His People.

Oh, say, can you see?

Today, old bombers, tanks, and jeeps will run in remembrance of holy war.
Today, the bombs bursting in air will bring smiles to the faces of thousands enthralled.
Today, the crimson blood is encouraged, the white noised turned full blast, and the bitter blue tears of unspeakable loss perpetuated.

Oh, say, can't you see?


Being patriotic is not a bad thing at all. It can only be beneficial to acknowledge and take pride in where you are from. When this leads to arrogance, however, it leads to division. It leads to misunderstandings. It leads to petty fighting. It leads to anger. It leads to stereotypes. It leads to war. I am American, but I do not stand for this America. I stand for the right America--The other America.


What you win in the immediate battles is little compared to the effort you put into it but if you see that as a part of this total movement to build a new world, you know what cathedral you're building when you put your stone in? You do have a choice. You don't have to be a part of the world of the lynchers. You can join the other America. There is another America! --Anne Braden

5 comments:

  1. i love this so much. this is how i feel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see that you at least tried to organize your thoughts in a clear manner, and that wins a lot of points with me. It sounds like you really believe what you're writing.
    Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view) I'm not sure you thought every aspect all the way through.
    No war in any aspect? Sure, I think I can understand the sentiment, but think of war crimes. I too think that America has entered far too many conflicts, but at the same time I see the reasoning: World War 3, an extermination and invasion of the free world. That's one very simple example.

    Of course, America isn't really just trying to protect human rights. Fighting communism, protecting oil interests...that, of course, isn't right.

    I personally like to think of the world without borders. It helps me remember that in a world like this with countries always separate, the people are still one race. And I think that we should not only go to war to protect ourselves, but to protect ideas and basic safeties that we hold important.

    Given all I've just said, it sounds like I support war. But I don't- I just support defense on a really, really big scale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, to both of you, thank you for reading.
    To Mr. Jackson, I understand where you're coming from-- But believe you me, I have thought for years about this from many different angles, and I am basically sweeping over a very complex belief system and simplifying it to fit into a single blog post, which, I realize, leads this idea of peace to sound incredibly idealistic and (therefore) nonsensical.
    However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't work for it anyway. The world order right now is terrible, outdated, and corrupt through and through. We need an overhaul. For the sake of space and sake of lack of coherent thought (running on caffeine here), I shouldn't go into detail here, but my ultimate point is this: There shouldn't be a need to support defense in the first place. We shouldn't need to defend anything.
    Now, since we do (because of the order mentioned above), I believe armies should be just that: defense. Nothing more. We have no business policing the world. Defending communism? The old "domino theory" was (and always will be) terribly faulty. Oil interests? I would argue we should be putting all of that effort and money into using non-fossil fuel energy.
    I have no problem with fighting against a potential World War III (which may never come) but I do have a problem with the fact that there's even such an idea.
    As I said earlier, I'm running on caffeine here and now so I know a lot of this isn't coherent, but my ideas pretty much boil down to this: Yeah, the world is in a terribly sorry state. But we need to put all of the energy that makes it sorrier into making it BETTER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Also, my apologies for the wall of text.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am coming off the Boston Marathon insanity; the hate, the fear, pain. The insanity of the ones who did the bombing, and the insanity of how the city reacted, cornered the kid, and exacted the most painful display of hate I have ever seen. It bothered me so much, because I work behind a bar in the middle of a WASP town, and I had to hear an excess of hateful talk, drunken threats of violence, and unnecessary patriotism I have not seen in the area since 9/11. It disturbed me, made me angry, and violent. It mutated me into what I mourn for in people.

    Now I see I am not the only one who finds the idea of hate and violence to be repugnant and worthy of abolishment. Your post, and the subsequent comment, have somehow released me from my pain and helped me as I realize that I should not be "reconciled" away from "wisdom, justice, and love."

    So, thank you for making me feel united at a time I was impossibly alone.

    ReplyDelete