Wednesday, July 13, 2011

This Can Only Be A Good Thing

So, my laptop's hard drive crashed. In fact, the only reason I'm able to type this post is because I am being lent a laptop by a family member. So, what this means is, while I will try and continue updating at least twice a week, I will probably do it at strange times.

Despite the fact that all of my three-plus years of schoolwork, music collections, and writing are all lost, this can only be a good thing. I have a chance to catch up on reading, write even more, exercise more, and other things.

My writing isn't completely lost, either between this blog and my posts on the Random Receipts Facebook group page. Of twenty-eight spoken word poems, I will probably be able to restore about 20 of them. The other 8 were probably not good enough to share. Hahah! So, tomorrow, the quest to rebuild my collection begins! And with my music, I will most likely be able to simply plug my Zune's USB cord into another laptop and save it from my Zune. Problems (mostly) solved! So, I'm just looking on the bright side of things. As Thich Nhat Hanh once wrote,
"Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy."

So I'm keeping a smile on. I try to think of it this way: Even if I have a neutral expression on my face, I don't get the positive energies that a simple smile can grant. If I have that smile, I'll begin to feel better regardless! That's something that some groups of Buddhists call "Smile Meditation". Meditation in the traditional sense takes place when you're sitting and breathing, fully aware. Smile meditation takes place no matter what. Living in the present moment, remembering to smile in every situation can be remarkable in the way it helps to improve moods.

Another reason I have to smile is right on the right-hand side of the page-- The view counter is almost at 3000! I want to thank you all for joining me in my angst, in my celebrations, in my pretentious ranting, in my giddy explosions of joy and in my melancholy reflections! I started this blog back in November 2010 and I am humbled to see the way it's grown. Genuinely, thank you all.

If you like what you've read, you can like Speaking with Storms on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.
Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. This is why the back-up external hard-drive is my friend... too bad I didn't get one until after the first time my hard drive broke. Fortunately that was only a few months after I got my lappy in the first place.

    Also I was pageview 3003. Palindrome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, the same thing happened to me. I didn't (and still don't, actually) own anything to back my data up onto. Once I get the cash, though, THAT'S where it's going.

    ReplyDelete