Friday, July 1, 2011

Definition Kills

Hey, readers. I know I haven't posted anything in about a week, but that's because I've been quite busy.

First, I went with my family up north to a place called Gooseberry Falls. It's probably my favorite state park in the whole of Minnesota, because of the forests, rivers, and wildlife there. I really enjoyed it, even though I was without a shower (willingly) for four days. Those who know me personally know that I had long curly hair, which is somewhat a pain to deal with and make sure that it looks fine. Therefore, four days without a shower pretty much rendered me out of the game for finding ladies up in Duluth and Grand Marais. That being said, I wouldn't pursue any ladies there anyway because it's just a mite too far north for me. The commute to see her would be brutal.

Anyway, speaking of my hair, it used to be nine inches long-- I've cut it down to one inch. My head feels a lot lighter and I'm enjoying the change of pace.

Also, I just the other night attended a little get together where I accomplished a lot. Normally, I'm fine with people reading my material when I'm not in front of them. As soon as I get in front of people to perform, however, I get a typical case of stage fright. At the party, though, I was able to get so into the moment that I didn't care. I was so focused and energetic that it was the farthest thing from my mind. The people there were so supportive and open minded, so being there was something I am grateful for.

My friends and I came up with a few big ideas that night, and I just want to jot them down before I forget about them. So, what better way than to share it with you all?
  1. The "Greater Good" centers around selflessness. A "good" person is simply a generous person who puts her own benefit below that of others.
  2. Definition Kills. We only know what Beauty is because we label other things as ugly. The key to real wisdom is to refuse duality.
  3. This world is not real. 
  4. Everything that is, is Alive. 
  5. Everything that is, is Art.

I've been writing a lot lately. I know I use that sentence a lot on this blog, but this is actually more true than ever. I have been spending time with a lot of creative people and that creative energy is doing a lot of good things for me. I'm going to go ahead and share something I wrote on my trip up north.



From Highway 61 Overlooking Lake Superior



I see the Superior Gitche Gumee.
The clouds slowly descend after a lazy drizzle fills the air with grey.
From atop this hill I look down,
Upon the steely blue-grey waters
Churning with eagerness to throw themselves upon the rocks of the shore.
As my eyes trace the horizon covered by a soft cloud curtain,
A soft smile sneaks up on me as I realize
I can't tell where the skies meet those waters
As they drop off the edge of the earth
Into nothingness.

The determined flowers stretching up from the bushes press upon me
A scent unfamiliar,
And as I walk away, I look back to see one lone rock
Staring back at me from among the waves.
Across the highway, where the drivers speed past
(As they presumably do every day),
 I view the mist-covered forests pouring over the hillside
Like some great verdant blanket.

A pair of older men stand along the rocky shoreline below,
Swapping stories and secrets
As they skip stones.
I saw that scene as we stopped to look at the fog rising up from the lake, and I felt this surge of ideas coming into me, and warming me from the outside in, into my core. I had no choice but to write.

I always love writing, and I am happy each time I am able to share that with people.

2 comments:

  1. "This world is not real."

    Better hope Agent Smith doesn't read this. They'll know you're onto them.

    ReplyDelete