Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Dao of Being Human, Part 3

The long-overdue conclusion to earlier posts of mine has now stewed in my head for long enough.

Humanity has a unique gift that I've been researching for quite some time: Self-awareness, or consciousness.

Look closely. Seem familiar? It's your brain, right now.

Human consciousness is earth-shatteringly powerful. We have the power to create amazing things with it using our imagination.

One thing I've come across in my studies is the universal concept of amazing abilities using our consciousness-- Transcendental meditation, shared/lucid dreaming, healing, Qi Gong, shamanic journeys, psychic ability, astral projection, precognition, things like that. Many discount these abilities, but I think they are too numerous to dismiss as a whole.

I've experienced some strange things using my mind, that I won't go into detail here about. But just know this: Your mind is incredibly powerful. Never once discount the power of positive thinking.

Humans have the remarkable ability to affect each other on such a profound level. Any readers who have cashiered at any business will be able to talk about one person whose attitude affected their entire day, be it positively or negatively.

Sometimes this is meant in a very real, practical sense. But some believe there's something deeper than that. Some believe that energy produced by human thought can affect other souls, no matter the distance. This is why some prayers are answered meditation can change attitudes more profoundly in groups, and some mystics such as the mysterious Stylianos Atteshlis are able to cure ailments of some people.

Some even think that very strong energies can affect locations, which is why houses have "ghosts" and your mood can change upon entering a certain area, even if you've been there for the first time. I don't know whether this is true or not, but if these are all product of the minds of OTHERS that can carry lasting effects to your and my own minds, we have not been giving our thoughts enough credit.

These are a lot of big ideas, so I'll ease off. I've talked about what it means to be human, so I'll sum everything up.

Humans connect to other humans.
Humans make mistakes.
Humans unite.
Humans ask.
Humans dream.
Humans learn.
Humans construct.
Humans have potential.
Humans are capable.
Humans hold the universe in their hands.

Let's live up to how amazing we can be, let's show each other what else being Human can be.

If you like my writing, you can join the site to the right of the page, like Speaking with Storms on Facebook or follow me on Twitter and Google+ . If you have questions or just want to chat, I'm on Formspring too! 

Thanks for reading. Stay human, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment