Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Starving Artist No More!

I got a job!

...Yeah, I know what you guys are thinking. "About damn time." Well, you know what? Shut up. It was difficult.

It's kind of funny... My father is a code monkey for the Target Corporation, my older sister and my mother both have worked in a Target store, and my younger sister currently works for one. I've applied over 5 times to various Target stores, and they turned me down each time. So, where's this new job, you may ask?
I shit you not.
Yeah, I got tired of Target not taking a multilingual, charismatic, energetic guy like myself. So, what did I do? I went to their largest competitors. SUCK IT, TARR-JAAY.

...I wish I could actually say my intentions were that structured, but they really weren't. I have to find a way to pay for my college somehow, so I decided to apply EVERYWHERE. I mean, I figured that I filled out almost 70 applications; 50 of those places were within walking distance of my house. Walmart was actually the first place that gave me an offer. This process took over 5 months.

I had been earning cash on and off before this; playing music, beta testing for Rosetta Stone, editing a paper or an essay or a book here and there. The cash flow was enough to allow for basic recreation, but not enough where I would spend entire days out and come back to look at my bank account and want to punch myself in the nose. Now, though, I'm working in a Walmart's bakery and makin' gold enough to keep myself fed! Getting a job right now won't be nearly as fun as getting a job that I actually want to make into a career, but nevertheless, I am REVELING in the moment.

Now to figure out the problem of free time...

If you like my writing, you can join the site to the right of the page, like Speaking with Storms on Facebook or follow me on Twitter and Google+ . If you have questions or just want to chat, I'm on Formspring too!

Thanks for reading. Stay human, my friends.

2 comments:

  1. Problem of free time? What problem? You take the weekend of the 5th off, you come to Madison, you party hard... what problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You work in the bakery?! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete