Wednesday, June 15, 2011

You Helped Me Write This by Showing Me to Give is Priceless

Someone once asked me if I thought I was a grateful person.  I thought for a moment, then answered honestly. 
"Yes, I do believe I'm a grateful person, even though I may sometimes forget to show it."
This person continued to ask me how I can say that, even though I don't give everything I own to charities and those who are less fortunate than I.
"I don't do this out of two reasons: The first being practicality. Right now, in this stage of my life, I simply don't make enough money to be able to give to the poor. The second reason is that if I had the money, I would put it into practice the way I saw fit-- that is, I would give it to those I know would use it for the greatest good."
 I continued to speak with this person about what the "greatest good" is, but that's not something I'll discuss in this post.

I think giving is the best thing that someone can do for another. Even if it's as simple as a gift of a card, a ride home, lunch, or a place to rest, giving is good for the soul. My friends are some of the most generous people I've ever met, and I am continuously overwhelmed by their will to give freely.

That being said, a lot of people give not out of altruism but out of the unspoken promise that they will get something out of it. While there's nothing outright wrong with that, if that's the only reason a person gives, then it's not out of altruism at all-- It's for the benefit of the self.

There are so many people who need help. Remember what you have. Remember what you can give. Remember what you can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment