Friday, August 5, 2011

The Dao of Being Human, Part 1

Short post today, because I'm in the process of preparing for a family reunion. When I get back, I plan on expanding on the topic of being human. Until then, meditate on this piece.


Human
Aight, people, listen. I think it's high time
We stop missin' out on what's yours and what's mine.
We are Human.

The pieces were set for White to move first,
But I was missing a bishop to keep me on the straight and narrow.
But hey, it's okay, it might have been just what I needed.
Besides, I'm a better Go player anyway.

I always wished I could take life the way I took piano lessons: Half-step by half-step, black and white.
But then I learned chords, and thirds, and arpeggios and legato and it all became too much for me.

I know now that there's no reason that black and white should be a good thing.
Why don't we use all the colors?
"All the colors of the world, red and yellow black and white" but between me and you,
I'm best friends with maple leaf green and dark ink blue.

So I learned how to be Human in this inhumane world. I learned how to be unemployed, how to sleep with the wrong girl, how to go swimming in all of my clothes, and how to buy myself a Pay Day candy bar because I feel like I've earned it.

Too many people are giving me flak and asking me to care just a bit less,
to dress up just a bit more,
to watch that movie I hate,
to be more like my sisters.

But, sorry, I can't live in a world without calling in sick (when I'm really just tired), without eating steaks I can't afford, without late night Karaoke, because man, that is Human.

Because yeah, my hair's just a little bit nappy,
And yeah, my movies are a little bit sappy,
But hell, I'll do what makes me happy.
I play Go and write poetry
and I get upset and I curse maybe a little too much
And if I've had a really tough day, I eat Captain Crunch at 2 AM because it reminds me that I am Human,
And I have my own bit of God that sparks within my heart.

I'm Human, and no one can take that away from me.
If you like my writing, you can join the site to the right of the page, like Speaking with Storms on Facebook or follow me on Twitter. If you have questions or just want to chat, I'm on Formspring, too!

Peace and Love, thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment