Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I'm just gonna stuff this post full of thoughts on romance.

我爱故我在: Roughly translated from Khalil Fong's song “爱爱爱” ("Love, Love, Love"), "I love, therefore I am."

If you know me well enough, you probably have noticed two things about my romantic life: First, that I am a hopeless romantic and a little bit sappy when it comes to romance, and second, that I am a little bit of a heartbreaker. In a lot of ways, I'm still trying to figure out how to act in a relationship. This isn't helped by the fact that every girl is different.



I've been in my fair share of crazy relationships. I have been romantically involved with girls from Asia, Africa, and America... And the only thing I've learned is that each of them were terrifying uncharted territory. Going into each relationship, I realized that I had no idea what to expect in each instance. A lot of my good friends know that I love learning about other cultures, so I rarely have romantic interest in girls from America... I don't really view it as a bad thing, but it gets kind of annoying when my own family members and best friends poke fun to me about it.
"Hey, there was a girl who told me she used to have a crush on you, David."
"Oh, is that true?"
"Yeah, but you wouldn't have worked out with her."
"Why do you say that?"
"She's white."
When I'm not in a relationship, I always have a terrible lonely feeling in the pit of my stomach. It's the whole "everyone is in a relationship but you!" mindset, and I hate it! I don't know why it plagues me so much. It's worst during the winter, but I always feel better when spring and summer roll around. I don't know why I let the seasons affect my mood so much.

It would  be interesting to marry a girl from another culture. If I did that, I'd ask her to wear traditional clothes from her culture... I think they're beautiful! Even though they're probably not suited for a wedding, any formal event deserves something like a Japanese kimono, a Chinese cheongsam, a Korean hanbok, a Vietnamese áo dài... I don't know why, I just view them as very very beautiful.

 In a lover, I want someone who can be honest, intelligent, interesting, someone who I can just... be with. Someone who will listen to me when I need to talk, but will tell me to shut up if I need to. Someone who will watch movies with me and cook food with me and listen to music with me.

2 comments:

  1. QQ

    All girls ARE different, the same way all boys are different. So? "I'm still trying to figure out how to act in a relationship." How about you stop ACTING and just BE? Then I think your relationships will be more healthy and satisfying. The best thing about my relationship with Tim is that I'm not acting. Ever. That was why our relationship moved so quickly--we both felt MORE like ourselves when we were together and LESS like ourselves when we were apart. A partner should make you feel encouraged to BE you than encouraged to ACT like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well.. Yes. That's fair. I haven't had that luxury of finding my soulmate yet, Libby! :P

    That being said, that's kind of what I was getting at with the last bit. I want a girl with whom I can just BE. You know?

    ReplyDelete